Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day 6 of 21: Be Still

Be Still

21 Thus my heart was grieved,
And I was vexed in my mind.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 
(Ps. 73:21-26)

Today is a very somber day for me.  What was labored over in prayer has not seemed to turn out for the good.  Today I feel like the psalmist who declared 
 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;  My steps had nearly slipped. I was envious of the boastful when I saw the prosperity of the wicked."(Ps 73:2-3).  
It's not that I envy any person involved in this travesty that we have found ourselves in.  But I am stung by the site of their boastful hearts.  Today they are standing on high ground because they feel justified in their slandering and malicious lies against other Believers.  These are people who proclaim to be followers of Christ and yet they have hatred towards the Brethren, planning maliciously in the darkness against the Body of Christ.  They gossip in small circles and have lit a fire that is now raging out of control.  Together they feel justified in slandering and accusing others. They do it all in the name of Christ, justifying their actions by offering prayers for God's support. According to the Scripture, we will know them by their fruits. A bad tree will yield bad fruit. (Mt 7:16-18,20).  Today it appears that the bad fruit has triumphed and yet I must learn how to praise God even in the midst of my defeated soul.

In recourse to my wrong thoughts and feelings, in recourse to my lack of faith and trust in God, I have come to the Scriptures once again, to find answers, to find comfort  to find words to utter from a repentant heart, to find words of encouragement and exhortation.  Admist my lamenting pleas this morning before God, even before I could finish uttering the words, "What now Lord?"  He spoke very clearly to me.  He shared two small words with me that stopped me dead in my tracks.  Two small words that have cause me grievous pain over the last three years, but have also stretched me to the point of no return.  Two small words that have changed me and transformed me and brought me into a true relationship with God.  Two small words that have shook me at my very core, so much so, that I can never be the same again. Nor do I ever want to be.

Be Still

In studying Psalm 46 over the past 3 years, and most recently in the past 6 days, I have begun to come to the terms with the magnitude of these two small words.  They carry with it an underlying thought that can in no way be contained on the pages of this blog. To be still means to find refuge and my strength in Elohim, the All-Sufficient God.  The God who is slow to anger, abounding in grace, love, and mercy.  The God who has and can continue to supply for my every need, physically, spiritually and emotionally.   The God who made a way for the Israelite's by the parting of the Red Sea.  The God who raised Lazareth from the dead and reclaimed the life of a small child by simply uttering, Talitha Koum, little girl, I say to you arise.  The same God who came in the form of a man, who humbled Himself, even unto the point of death (Philippians 2:8), that we might receive mercy and grace and forgiveness in our time of need.  
Elohim, is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble.  Therefore, we will not fear." (Ps 46:1-2)
He is my hiding place.  The one to which I run and peacefully retreat in times of tumultuous troubles. The one from which I find strength to press in and carry on with grace and love, with a heart of worship and adoration. It is no coincidence that twice in the 11 verses found in Psalm 46 the psalmist declares, The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. (Ps 46:7,11) He is the God of Heavenly Hosts, the armies of the most High.  He is the God that goes to battle for us.  The God in whom we take refuge during the fiercest of battles.  Battles so thick that we scarcely breath. He is the God of Jacob, the God of Israel. The God who showed Himself to be a God of grace, and mercy, and patience in the dealings with the man once known as Jacob, now called Israel.  
Be still and know that I am God. (Ps. 46:10)   
Every attribute of God that you read in Psalm 46 filters down into these two words, be still.  He has proven Himself, in more ways than the sand of the sea.  He is our Blessed Assurance that we can rest in, without fear of the war raging on around us. I asked God this morning, "How do I learn to be still?" and he brought me to Psalm 73:

But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped....When I thought how to understand this, It was too painful for me- UNTIL I went into the sanctuary of God;
(Ps 73:2,16-17)

I have been in the midst of a battle that is too large for me to fight on my own accord.  It is time for me to be still.  To enter into the sanctuary of God where I can sit in complete silence and rest my head against His chest.  Where I can remove myself from the chaos that is occurring around me, the war raging on every side, and focus soley on the God of all the ages.  To spend some time in peace, to sit and listen.  To find strength and to be renewed. And so today I proclaim as the Psalmist once did...
It is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all your works." (Ps 46:28)
Let me then declare from the Highest of rooftops today: The battle is not over! We have not been defeated.  Darkness has not triumphed! Our God reigns! And He is coming to right all wrongs.  Therefore, let us praise the Lord while He may be found! Let us praise Him and speak of His marvelous works!

.:La Chula:.




No comments:

Post a Comment